(left) Looking back at the city with Le Chateau Frontenac in its centre, from its defensive walls, and (right) looking over the walls at the St Lawrence river (Fleuve Saint-Laurent).
Eglise Notre-Dame des-Victoires, which commemorates the French victories over the British in 1690 and 1711. The original church was built in 1688, it was rebuilt in 1759 after being burnt down during hostilities in 1758.
In the old town are wall murals which look distinctively 3-dimensional (the shop is real). You can get a ferry across the St Lawrence to the opposite bank to a region called Lévis. This is the view looking back at Québec.
There is a suspension bridge across the St. Lawrence from Québec city to Île d'Orléans. The bridge was built as part of a campaign to fight unemployment, during the Great Depression. It was inaugurated on July 6th 1935, and was originally named Pont Taschereau, after Louis-Alexandre Taschereau, the member of the parliament representing Montmorency and then Prime Minister of Quebec. Today, its official name is "Pont de l'Île d'Orléans" (Bridge of the Ile D'Orleans), but it is commonly called Pont de l'Île (Bridge of the Island).
Not far from the bridge is the Montmorency falls cascading 83 metres down to the river below (30 metres more than Niagara Falls), are situated on a historical site of natural beauty in the Montmorency Falls Park. A cable car runs up to the Manoir Montmorency.
Click here to return to the home page