The Grunwald monument in the centre commemorating the battle at Grunwald in 1410, when Polish-Lithuanian troops under King Wladyslaw Jagiello defeated the Teutonic Knights, killing their grand master, Ulrich von Jungingen, and marking the beginning of the order's decline. Erected in 1910 the monument was destroyed by the Nazis on their entering the city in 1939 and was re-created in 1975. The monument is topped with an equestrian statue of Jagiello with the agonising von Jungingen at the bottom.
Left. Entrance through the city walls and right memorial in Auschwitz.
Saturday 21 February 2009